Friday 16 March 2012

Why old music is always best

I won't lie: I like a mix of music, including both new and old bands.


What really gets to me though is when people scream and rave about bands like One Direction, but don't even consider some of the bands which made it possible for them to exist.


My friend Bradley hates it whenever Chase & Status's latest club hit, "Hypest Hype" (featuring Tempah T) is played, as it features sections from the song, "Been Down So Long" by The Doors. Despite large amounts of the song being composed by Jim Morrison and his colleagues, they are never once credited - is this really fair?


Photo: Hannah O'Brien
This is why I love Reading Festival. Last year I had the good fortune to go, and my mind was blown. New and old acts were mixed together, with the likes of My Chemical Romance duetting with Queen's Brian May to create a new version of "We Will Rock You". Likewise, The Strokes and Pulp's Jarvis Cocker blew the crowds away, although you could say that Pulp themselves had done that just 20 minutes earlier.


This year, I am very much looking forward to The Cure's set, and all the surprises it will bring.


Festivals and concerts are not just for new and upcoming bands - they are a chance for us to celebrate and revel in older bands too.


Last night, I went to see The Stranglers in concert at the Engine Shed in Lincoln. I was pleasantly surprised. After talking to my mother before the concert and establishing that she had in fact also seen The Stranglers while she had been at university, I was expecting the concert to lack some energy.


I was wrong. Seeing The Stranglers perform proved to me once and for all that you do not have to be young to produce good music - which was enforced by their supporting act, The Popes.

Old music will always be the best because these acts know what they are doing, and actually enjoy creating amazing music (rather than posing around on a stage like One Direction).

No comments:

Post a Comment